Wednesday 8 March 2017

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Takes an Eighth Leap


(5/2/14)
 
Railpasses and finances
So I finally knuckled down and bought the Eurail Pass. Couldn’t even wait for my cc to arrive. Why? They were having this promo and offered 2 extra travel days for FREE. That’s right, 2 travel days for FREE!
 
Remember my initial plan to activate my 15-day Pass on Saturday the 19th, heading for Amsterdam from Paris? It would’ve expired on the 3rd, leaving me having to get a separate ticket from Spain (I was planning on being in Spain by then) to Paris on the 5th (my flight home is early morning on the 7th, so I thought that I’d give myself a day to travel to Paris, and spend the 6th in Paris before going home). But now I don’t have to =)
 
Confusing? Ok, let’s put it into tables. Mama loooooves tables.
Date
Without promo
With extra two FREE travel days
W 16
 
 
H 17
 
 
F 18
 
 
S 19
Activate Pass. Head for Amsterdam
Ditto.
U 20
Pass Day 2
 
M 21
Pass Day 3
 
T 22
Pass Day 4
 
W 23
Pass Day 5
 
H 24
Pass Day 6
 
F 25
Pass Day 7
 
S 26
Pass Day 8
 
U 27
Pass Day 9
 
M 28
Pass Day 10
 
T 29
Pass Day 11
 
W 30
Pass Day 12
 
H 1
Pass Day 13
 
F 2
Pass Day 14
 
S 3
Pass Day 15 -Expires
 
U 4
 
FREE Travel Day 1
M 5
 
FREE Travel Day 2 – Head back to Paris
T 6
Head back to Paris – buy a separate ticket.
 
W 7
I’m coming home..I’m coming home..tell the world that I’m coming home..
 
Do you get it? Do ya?
 
However, as an amateur would-be traveler, this latest acquisition has brought on a few revelations:
(i)                  A panic attack at having spent such a large amount of money (again)
(ii)                A second panic attack when realizing that it cost more than I expected.
 
Panic attack (i) was easier to get over because I knew I wanted it and I somewhat knew I was going to have to fork out the cash anyways. Now (ii) however, brought out my Accountant intincts; and they not only tingled, they jingled, rattled, sizzled, and thankfully, didn’t fry.
 
There was 100+ difference between what I expected to pay (the price of the Eurail is quoted in Euros – NOT my currency) and what I saw in my online statement. Whoaaaa…100+ is a lot. After a few frantic calls, I found out that different banks apply different exchange rates (ughh, Accountancy Graduate, you should have known this!), and this bank in particular charged a whopping 4.74 as opposed to what I Googled at 4.49. So there’s the difference.
 
Anyhow, purchases paid and done. All I have to do is bite my nails in anticipation of the Pass’ arrival. Now that, is a different kind of nail biting I won’t divulge just yet.
 
I decided to place a few calls to my banks, and found out the following:
 
Bank A – 10 bucks for ATM withdrawals, 1.25% Admin fees for overseas transactions.
Bank B – 12 bucks per ATM withdrawal, no admin fees for overseas transactions.
Bank C – They promised to call me back, but haven’t done so.
 
Both my cc’s haven’t come through. No news from either.
 
 
Now another toughy is deciding when to exchange my local currency to Euros and where to do it. Mr. Google suggested this area where a lot of tourists frequent, so there’s a lot of competition amongst the money changers there. Since I’ll have to go there in search of my fleece jacket, I’ll give it a go. That settles where. In terms of when, erm…well, first and foremost next paycheck will be the earliest. Ehem.
 
So far so good. As in, I used my current savings to pay for my flight, then my bonus to pay off the Railpass. I’ve been buying a lot of nitty gritty stuff (which I probably should stop) which I assume I’ll be needing in the near future. What matters most is that up to this point, my fixed savings remains untouched. Good news for you budget-worriers out there wanting to go on your very own adventure.
To those assuming I have a tonne of cash stowed away and that’s why I’m going on this trip, think again! I don’t! Which is why it’s part of why I’m doing this. I’m forced to find out all these finance thingies which I should know anyways, and being broke means I’m all the more careful of how I spend what limited money I have. It means that I’ll teach myself to forgo certain creature comforts that some people deem to-die-for, and hopefully that will bring me out of the circle of spoilt people.
 
On that thought, would anyone like to go hiking with me? That’s something I don’t dare to do alone..but perhaps if I had someone with me..hmmm
 
 
Tales of toiletries
You know how when you don’t want something, it’s always there staring at your face (like that irksome pair of scissors); but the moment you set out to get it, it’s nowhere to be found? Well, I was having this exact problem finding a towel. A travel towel. A microfiber lightweight travel towel.
Usually their everywhere! Bath size, face size, you name it! I already set out 3 times to go buy that (all in places I’m 90% sure I’ve seen selling them), but to no avail. I finally got irritated so I bought a 40cm X 40cm towel, thinking it would at least be usable and dry fast. My friend told me those microfiber towels stink up pretty fast is you use them over and over, but I said it’s ok because I’ll just chuck it away at the end of my travels.
I went to another place (of all things, a hardware store), and saw they were selling those microfiber towels, but it’s only 30cm X 30cm, but sold in a 4-pack. And it was only 5 bucks! Err, guess what I did? I bought that, went home, and sew the four “handkerchiefs” together to make an oddly long towel. Well, at any rate it can be wrapped around my waist. Sort of.
 
 
Reminders to myself:
I - Print out your tickets (flight, Railpass, Hostel bookings and get them all photocopied)
II – Prepare document packets to leave with at least two separate people back home
III – You haven’t gotten a bottle for your facial cleanser
IV – Ziplock bags
V – Leave your jewelry at home (or with someone you trust)
VI – Travel insurance!
VII – Break in your walking/sports shoes
VIII – Get your cc’s and ask Bank C for details
IX – Book accommodation for the first two nights in Paris
X – Update your journal (important numbers, places to see, etc)
 
….and most importantly, enjoy every moment. Even the flustered ones where you feel like giving up. You will experience a lot, and from there, learn a lot. And that matters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment