Monday 27 January 2014

On changing the world

 
 

Invictus



Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.




William Ernest Henley

 

 

I am no superhero. Changing the world seems an impossible feat to my small frail hands. I am weak, powerless, defenceless, and no one will support any crusade I wish to fight. I do not want to join in those fights already started. I do not want to leave the comforts of being "normal". I am afraid. I have commitments. I will start once I finish on more small task.
 
We are all changing the world. One way or another, we are always part of something greater than just ourselves. Whether it is being that supporter that makes a fatigued man finish his race, or the welcoming smile that awaits the trembling hands of a falling soldier. Whether we smile at a stranger and makes his day just half an ounce better, or if we grudge an old lady a seat on the bus; we make a difference. An that difference, no matter how small, is still a difference.
 
The question I ask myself now is: Will I make a big difference or a small one? Will it be a conscious decision, or will it be purely out of instinct, necessity, and forcedness? Will I notice those differences that I make? Does it matter if I let it slip away?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment