Saturday 1 November 2014

Why do I teach?



 

I don’t. At least, that is not my goal each time I enter a classroom. Anyone can teach. Or at least, claim to teach. To stand in front of a group of students and deliver a lesson; not so difficult. That is the easiest part of the profession. Some people think it is the only part of the profession. Me? I am old-school; in the sense that I believe that that person entrusted to manage a group of fellow human beings should do more than instruct and deliver.

 

How do I motivate?

 

How do I create awareness?

 

How do I encourage a future generation capable of not only thinking for themselves, but for the betterment of the human race?

 

No, I don’t walk into a classroom so I can teach my children how to do their sums. I want them to know it is ok to raise their hands to ask for help, but if and only if they have listened to me explain it the first time, if and only if they have allowed themselves to struggle through figuring it out themselves, if and only if they want to learn how to complete the work; not just get the answers right.

 

What do I stand to gain?

A hope that I shall leave better children to the world; instead of a better world to my children. To have at least tried to produce a society of people who are good. Not just doing things correctly; but are good people deep inside.

 

 

Sometimes I feel like I’m fighting for a lost cause. That no matter how hard I try, whatever successes I have will always be just a drop in the ocean. And that is not yet to speak of my failures. Yes, I have those too.

 

 

No. I still have a lot in me to give. And to hold back and take the easier path is a sin to myself. I owe it to myself. To that person everyone gave up on. I will fight on.

 

 

Mother loves all of you equally. Some more equally than others, but equally nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment