Saturday 22 November 2014

A good one.

Money = happiness



Today, a friend asked if I was going to take the next step anytime soon. I said "Not that I know of"; and to that she replied: "Money is more satisfying, huh?"


That struck me.


True: the lifestyle I live grants me the opportunity to have plenty luxuries. To dine at nice restaurants, wear the designer clothes, perhaps even join a club, drive a fancy car,..


But what struck me was one word - opportunity.


Happiness is subjective. It is a feeling that, granted the same situations, may or may not be produced. It is intangible.
Opportunity, however, is tangible.
I can tell you that I chose to eat at this café rather than the other. I chose to spend my holiday here instead of there.

Choices. Not everyone has them. I have plenty of that. Whether I sleep in or go out, that is entirely up to me. Whether I go off on random adventures, or go café hopping, I determine that. Whether I go up to someone and start a conversation with them, no one can or will tell me otherwise.

Money just means that I have more choices. But it also comes from other factors. Do I have the time to do those things that I choose to do? Or is my life consumed by pre-determined factors that are beyond my consideration?




No, money is not satisfying. Experience is. Money just enables me to choose what experiences I have. Where I spend my time, and whether or not time is a luxury of mine.

Indeed, my life is for me to determine. There are portions of it that have been written on my behalf; but I determine how I walk those paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment