Tuesday 17 June 2014

To my future self

About a year (or was it two) ago, we were reading a book about a nineteen-year-old girl who was kidnapped from college and kept prisoner for many years. So many years, that she had born a stillborn child, and then another one who grew up to be five at the start of the book. My kids were far away from 19, and I felt that any advice I gave them would either fall on deaf ears or it would be forgotten by the time college comes rolling around. So instead, I had them write a letter to their future selves. To be opened on their 19th birthday. The wrote the letters, handed them to me to be sealed, and I returned them the letters for safe keeping. It was entirely up to them whether or not they waited until they were 19, but if they did, it would bring a magic that the wouldn't experience unless they were patient.


A few moments ago, I saw one of those posts about "If you could go back and tell your 18-year-old self something, what would it be?" and it got me thinking. What would I tell myself? Was there an alternative available to me at the time, or something that I had let go in exchange for what I actually did?

Well, I can't change the past, so the most I can do is to shape today so it forms a great tomorrow. My journey continues. It has been one of great adventures, and I wish to continue having even greater ones. But I am an adult now. Not all dreams can be realized the was my recent one has. Even that one took months to put into action. This one will take years.


Perhaps it might do me good to write a letter to my future self, to be opened at intervals, to keep me on this path that I have chosen...

No comments:

Post a Comment