Saturday 14 September 2013

Not Everything


 

A woman bustling her three children onto the bus. She was large, dressed like a potato sack, and her children were none the better dressed. Her little girl sported a filthy white frock, smeared with bits of the chocolate bar she was munching. Her eldest son had a hideously patched up pair of khakis on, and the middle one was carrying a knapsack that was far too large for him. She had no regard for how her children sat, and suddenly took out her phone in the middle of the bus ride.


 

"My love, how are you? What are you doing?"

I saw her children look at each other. The eldest one turned up his nose just a little bit.

"Have you gone in to work yet? What time are you supposed to come in?"

He little one sneaked a glance at her brother. He shook his head just a bit.


 

The woman loudly continued her conversation on the bus and even if I could write here all the details, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that right after the phone conversation, she smacked the eldest one on the head while saying "You lot don't know how lucky you are. Stop giving me those looks!"


 

I was appalled. I'm guessing the "love" wasn't the children's father. Do they have an existent father figure? Or has it been random nameless faceless "loves" over the past years?


 


 

*************************************************************************************


 

I was having lunch where I once thought I would be building my career. My local version of New York, so to speak. Busy, loud, full of career-people. But then, today I was dressed down for my very own adventure. I didn't quite fit in, and I was dying for a good cup-a-joe. But instead of my longed for spot, I headed next to it for a famous local beverage.


 

I sat down with my meal, and this guy sits at the vacant table next to mine. He makes a call.


 

"Hye sweetheart, I've just arrived in town and bla bla bla the architecture is amazing bla bla bla I'm heading home soon bla bla bla I can send you 10-15k USD if you want bla bla bla.."


 

After the phone call he proceeds to explain to me about his "situation"…na-ah brother… I ain't fallin' fo dat..


 

*************************************************************************************


 

I decided to seek some culture and look at what the local art was like these days. Turns out, it wasn't much different than when I was younger. I guess when you talk about local/traditional art, there isn't much change to be done. I sauntered in the market looking at trinkets and keychains, and I stumbled upon a little fish spa! Cheap too! So I dug out my wallet, forked out the cash, and slipped my feet into the tub. Ooooohhhh it felt like the antsy feeling you get after you try to awake a sleeping leg. For the first 5 minutes I just silently screamed threats to the fish.


 

"I ate fish just two days ago. You are eating your cousins!!!" I cursed at them.

They paid no heed to my curses and continued munching away.


 

************************************************************************************


 

There are a lot of things that I need, but I can't quite differentiate between need and want these days. Everything just feels so necessary.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment