Friday 26 July 2013

Lunacy of the moment.

I saw a stick, lying on the ground. One end was sunken under the damp sand, the other jutting out. I couldn’t help but stoop down, just to see how long it is, I told myself. It was almost sunset, and the waves were almost gone. The waters just rolled in with the bubbles skirting its edges. I pulled the stick out and drew a line in the sand. I watched, my eyes transfixed, at the waves that slowly erased my line. Before long I found myself squatting down and drawing circles, squiggles, triangles, and houses. My knees started to get shaky. I should be getting back, I told myself. Instead, I folded my legs on the damp sands and let the calm waves seep through my shorts. Oh well, there are worst things than having a wet bottom, I told myself. I kept drawing in the sands, careful to make sure that the waves erased my artwork before I started another. It felt like seconds, but before my insanity had been satiated, it was dark. The lamp posts flickered on, and I was there, alone, making squiggles in the sand. It was dinner time, and I was starving. I had no ideas where to head to, but somehow I couldn’t move. I stayed on with my squiggles for a while longer. I wonder if there are jellyfish here. Would they sting me? Would I have to pee on myself if I got stung? What if I got stung where I can’t reach? Would anybody hear if I shouted for help? The place is almost deserted. What if ruffians saw me doodling here, alone and defenceless; would they try to hurt me? Would they kill me or risk leaving me here injured? Where would they hide my body? Would anybody hear if I shouted for help? How long would it take before anybody notices I’m missing? Who would notice? Would they notice and assume that I just decided to disappear or would they bad mouth me for shirking my responsibilities? Or would they just notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment