Monday 23 December 2019

Today, or tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll wake up, get myself ready. Shower, prep, get dressed. Look at myself in the mirror.
"Today is the day" I'll say to myself. Take in a deep breath. This is it. Look at myself one more time.
Titles.
What are they, anyway? Adjectives that describe us, but not necessarily define us.
Funny
Happy
Grumpy
Angry
Depressed
Lonely
Teacher
Mother
Wife.

So what if I am no longer one of those. My worth is not defined by those titles, but rather of what my hands will answer of my deeds when the angels come calling.

So I mentally hang up that coat, title splashed across the bosom. Take another deep breath. The Lord is with me. The Lord will protect me. He has and will always provide sustenance for my family. I walk over to the bookshelf and reach over for the blue file. Tuck it into the bag, kiss my baby goodbye.
Open the door, no one stirs.
Just like that late afternoon.
No one stirs.

I close the door.
Sigh.

Walk back to the coat and put it on again.
I look at my reflection with the title splashed against my bosom.

I guess, today is not the day, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment