Sunday 1 December 2013

Occupational hazzard





The manager insists we smile and say welcome greetings each time a customer walks in and to say "Thank you, come again" when anyone leaves. Even when we're not the ones serving that particular customer, we just have to say it. Needless to say it became a habit. One time, I was at this fancy restaurant with a previous employer (non-retail) and as I was leaving, I looked the maitre 'd straight in the eyes, that glossy see-through type, the plastic grin I was so programmed into giving, and clear resounding tone "Thank you, come again!"

Needless to say, the maitre 'd was puzzled, I was mortified.

Two years later, I still find myself suddenly forgetting myself, thanking people in the elevator (who did nothing but accompany me in the harrowing journey in the elevator itself, not even help me push the button) as I exited. One fella was so embarrassed he blushed and muttered "err... hi"

Now that I'm in a totally different profession, I find that there are still so many occupational habits I just can't shake off easily after-hours.

Oh well, luckily it's not very harmful. I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment