Tuesday 5 November 2013

How does one describe feelings?

    Everything is so loud, and somehow the noise feels heavy. They weigh down on my eyelids, they force all my muscles down. Movement feels painful. The noise is deafening. I guess it could be like when Superman got his super-hearing abilities, and it overwhelmed him and he had to find a way to tune it so that all the noise didn't drive him crazy. I can hear everything, yet nothing. I can feel the rushing of my own blood, but not the way a vacuum sounds, more like crackling of static. When I sit, I can feel the blood bend and swerve to fit my shape. It hurts. The most I can do to drown out all the noise is to blast the mp3 so that at least it only one sound I have to hear. But it doesn't take away the noise. I can still feel it there, but I just can't hear it. The weight is still there. I can feel it, it's just a slight relief that the noise isn't there. It's like knowing someone is in the room, watching you, but you don't turn around to look at them; you just feel them watching you. Except, the staring is heavy. The weight is so great. When people try to speak to you, you have to push through the noise and hear out what they say. You try to make sense of it, but it often doesn't make sense. You can answer all the functions easily enough, because it's in your programming. They could ask you what 2+2 is and you'd be able to answer, though speaking in itself is extremely painful. But if they asked you abstract questions "Are you ok?" "Do you need anything?" all you can do is try to conjure up the strength to look at them; but even that takes up a lot of energy. Energy you don't have because you have to move about with this immense weight about you. You can feel yourself being buried alive, in your own thoughts. But they're not only your own thoughts, you can almost hear everyone else's thoughts, except they're not theirs, it's yours but in their voices. You think of the various possibilities, and it becomes noisier and noisier and you're pushed to this corner of silence because all the other noise is so overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment