Sunday 20 June 2021

But none are heard

It's dark in here. I flick the flashlight and nothing happens. The battery died a while back. Maybe if I imagine the light, it will be better. I hear her coming. I shut my eyes and hope she's just passing. I grip the flashlight tight, even though it I longer gives off any light. What else do I have? It's dark in here. She's close. I hear her low breath and soft steps. Maybe if I pretend to be asleep she'll go away. I close my eyes. Lax my grip on the flashlight so it seems I am really asleep. I can see colours behind my eyelids. It feels a little less cold. The warmth of colour. Does that make sense? 2x2=4. Yes, I still have my math right, so it must make sense. She's close enough I can feel the edges of her hair brush my arm. The colours. Where are they? It's dark in here. I hold back my tears.
"I'm here, darling. Wake up." She hisses.
Please, no...
Her eyes flash red and her voice hardens.
"Wake up" she spits.
Against my will I open my eyes. It's so dark but I can see her luminous silhouette. I can still feel the edges of her hair, this time on my neck.
My flashlight. It's gone.
She cackles in the dark and goes off.
It's so dark in here.
Someone?
Anyone?


Please....

It's dark in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment