Sunday 7 June 2015

Nineteen Eighty-Four

I'm at that part where Syme talks about the destruction of words. Winston is horrified that his friend, though seeing the adverse affects of erasing vocabulary, of annihilating choice of words, can describe his understanding of how it helped Big Brother to control society.

Limit the words, limit the thinking.

And I look now helplessly at the real society I live in. Where abbreviations are abundant, where repetitive jokes are laughed at for hours on end. Where name calling is as deep an insult as one is capable of.


And I think now to how at a loss for words I have been. How the words used to pour out like steam from a boiling kettle.



The pot!



That heat I so strongly tried to put out. That "Happy" that I was seeking. Is it killing my words?




Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment