Thursday 1 November 2012

Of Conundrums and Cross Roads



There are always the “correct” ways of solving everything. They tell you that you should:
ü  do well in school
ü  get good grades
ü  get into a respectable university
ü  get a decent job
ü  get a car, maybe even a house
ü  get married
ü  have children
They clearly say this is the path of happiness. For a very long eternity I believed them. I trusted them for how could they be wrong?
Pause.
Who is this “they” again?
Why do they get to dictate what makes me happy? Is happiness the same for everyone? For them to say that my life is nothing but an empty shell if I choose to never get married.. for them to declare I can’t possibly have a good life with the job that I have now. Why do they get to choose when and how I will be happy?
When I was a child they promised that they made decisions for me because they were the adults and that they knew what was best. Can’t you see that I am an adult now, too? Why do you still think you still have a right over my happiness?
Look at me!! Each day I smile. A genuine, heart-felt smile. Each day. Most days I even let out a nice belly laugh. Not the kind I put up for show because it was what was “polite” to do, but real, pure, laughter. I am thankful for all that He has given me. I work hard to make a life for myself and someday for the ones I love. What else am I doing wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment