Monday 22 February 2016

...and then it was gone.

Today was like any other day.
Went to bed, woke up.
Sleepy, tired, groggy.
It was supposed to be just like any other day.
I packed my belongings as I had a million times.
I held the dress in my hands, imagining myself needing it.
This is just like any other day.
Comfort, safety, to chase away the pain.
All into the bag.
Because today is just like any other day.
Got ready, prepared for class.
I shouldn't eat so much.


try to shake off his brisk manner.
Unfeeling.
Efficient?
Get the job done.


The drive felt horrendously long.
Why were there so many cars on the road?
Four hours felt like twenty.
Eternity.
I took the time to say grace and thanks,
You know, in case it was my last.
Today is like any other day.
These tears are just as they flowed on other days.

Drove home, another agony awaits.
I wait.
No, today was not to be the day.
This really was, just like any other Saturday.

Went upstairs, showered.
There are some stains you can never wash off.
What have I done..and what will I do?
What would I have said if this was someone else?
Turn off the taps.

The bag needs more packing.
It's heavier than usual.
Can I carry this burden with me?
Will its weight crush me down
Is there still room for me way up there?

Tonight we laugh, we joke, we plan.
Could this be my last night?
Goodnight, have a restless slumber ahead.
Tomorrow will be just like any other day.

The distance felt horrible.
The wait even more so.

if I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down in a bed of roses
Sink me in the river, at dawn.
Send me away in the words of a love song.

countless time he hears the sound escape my lips,
Countless times I say I said nothing
For today is just like any other.

I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to the click of a padlock the same again.
Metal against metal.
Keep me in,
Or shut you out?
Today is just like any other day.
Here I lie, closing my eyes.
Shut them tight.
Breathe.
Am I still breathing?
Did I make it through?


She's a fighter, she is.
always is, always has been.

Now here's the hard part:
Will tomorrow be just like any other day?

No comments:

Post a Comment